How to Run Successful PPC Campaigns in 2019: Tips
Pay-per-Click is continuously evolving in tandem with the dynamism of internet marketing. Each year, programs such as Google Ads and Bing Ads give marketers brand new tools to target and convert customers more efficiently than before. Here are some of the 2019 PPC trends to pay attention to and maintain a competitive edge going forward:
1. Use Audience Targeting for Higher Conversion Rates
One advantage that PPC ads have over traditional alternatives, such as TV advertising, is the ability to target specific audiences. Over the years, marketers have been doing a great job using keywords to learn about the interests of search engine users and the people that visit their business websites. However, keywords alone do not tell the whole customer story, including their exact search intent. For instance, somebody who types “dentists in New York” on Google is not necessarily looking to see a dentist right away. Here’s is where tactical PPC audience targeting comes in.
There’s the need for marketers to refine their customer research and figure out what they’re trying to do online each time they visit a website or use a mobile app. Fortunately, PPC programs are providing the right tools for targeting audiences and putting relevant ads in front of them just when they are about to purchase a product. The outcome of this highly targeted approach is higher conversion rates because businesses can tell what their customers want at any single point in time.
For example, Google Ads offers the following audience targeting features:
- In Market audiences: These are the customers who are actively looking to buy a product you’re selling. The feature lets you aim relevant ads at web visitors. The customers are more likely to convert or buy your product if it meets their requirements because it’s what they’re after at the time they see your online ad.
- Similar audiences: Leverage this feature to target web visitors who have exhibited similar patterns to your existing customers. Google Ads automates this process in real time, allowing you to show relevant ads to new potential buyers.
2. Manage Your PPC Campaigns With Automation
The year 2019 is not the time to manage most of your PPC campaigns manually, not when you need to get ahead of the pack and reach out to more potential customers within the shortest time possible. Today, the challenge for campaign managers is to save time while delivering results. Fortunately, machine learning (ML) takes the “legwork” out of the equation, enabling marketers to automate critical aspects of campaign management, from bidding and keyword selection to budget automation.
Modern marketers need to leverage ML algorithms that autonomously track and analyze campaign structures and web traffic to help improve the accuracy of bidding models. These tools are available on major PPC programs, such as Google Ads, Amazon, and Bing Ads. Based on intelligence gathered from a broad spectrum of online data points, including landing pages, search phrases, ad text, and product details, A.I resources enable marketers to streamline their marketing spend and boost ROI.
A typical application is automated rules that automatically trigger specific actions if preset campaign conditions are satisfied. For instance, you could specify parameters to autonomously crank up your keyword bid and keep your ad on the first page of search results at all times. This way, you’re able to optimize your efforts and budget without having to make manual adjustments or monitor your campaign 24/7.
3. Voice Search is Integral
The proliferation of smartphones and tablets means that consumers all over the world can use voice search at will. By 2020, it’s estimated that more than 50 percent of search engine users will rely on the technology to conduct online searches. Businesses that don’t prepare to take advantage of the growing trend will miss out on search engine optimization, which might hurt their SERP rankings.
Optimizing your website for voice search means changing the way you write, create, and deploy your web content. Here are some useful tips:
Deploy Long-Tail Keywords
Traditionally, search engine users type two or three words, for example, “dentist California,” when looking for something online. However, that’s not how people do voice searches, and your keyword strategy has to reflect that. You can solve that problem by using long-tail phrases in your PPC campaigns. That’s because people usually use several words or entire sentences when speaking, including into a voice search microphone.
To optimize your content for voice search, try something like, “what’s the price of iPhone 8?” That’s more appropriate and effective than using two or three words.
Write in a Natural Tone
The point here is to write in a natural way that matches how people speak or have conversations. Avoid keyword stuffing as your content will sound awkward, considering that you’re using long-tail phrases.
4. Include Video in Your PPC Marketing
Video marketing is gaining momentum day by day, and it promises to be even more critical in 2019. It’s going to be extremely difficult for businesses to dominate the internet without treating video as an essential component of their social media, blog, or web marketing programs. Estimates indicate that more than 87% of businesses are already leveraging video as a marketing resource.
Here’s how to use video ads to your advantage:
- New products or services: Consumers will pay attention if you use video to introduce any new offerings in the market.
- Create short videos: About 68% of potential customers prefer to watch short promotional videos than read text-based content.
- Deploy on social media: Publish your video ads on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social networking platforms.
- Optimize for mobile: Create videos that are convenient to watch on mobile devices. Marketers are increasingly deploying “vertical videos” to match the way users hold their smartphones. However, most consumers don’t mind flipping their gadgets to view content horizontally. To be on the safe side, be sure to optimize your ads for both vertical and horizontal viewing.
Savvy marketers have to keep an eye out for emerging PPC capabilities and features that can help improve their digital campaign performance in 2019. It’s the only way to stay ahead of the prevailing stiff competition while satisfying the needs of their customers.