Increase Productivity & Creativity by Changing Your Space
The seasons are changing here in Wisconsin; the leaves are falling and so is the temperature. However, I have decided not to get too gloomy about the coming snow, and instead take a tip from nature. Change is good; it helps keep things fresh and new. With that in mind, I have been trying out some different ideas at the office like changing how I work at my desk. In an article I read earlier this week about productivity and creativity, they talked about varying your desk setup. Taking that to heart, I tried standing at my desk instead of sitting. Though it was tiring to stand and work, it did make me think differently. I also sat on a yoga ball instead of my office chair and that makes a difference as well. So with those two variations in mind, I decided to make a list of options to change my desk setup/arrangement to boost my creativity and productivity.
- Sitting – Sitting in the same chair day after day can get old after a while. For one day, or even just part of the day, change to a different chair. You can even try sitting on a yoga ball (make sure it’s inflated enough) instead of a normal office chair. Here at The BLU Group, we have three yoga balls that not only get used at various times at our desks, but at meetings as well.
- Standing – Instead of sitting at your desk, try standing. It will take a little bit to get used to, and getting your computer, keyboard, and mouse up to the right height can be a struggle, but it will be a big change for your body to stand and work instead of sit.
- Walking – Taking it one “step” further, try walking at your desk. Walking? Yes, you read that right; walking. Did you know that you can get walking desks now? These desks combine a desk and a treadmill, and they come in different shapes/sizes. I’ve never used one, and I think it would take a while to get used to, but it’d be fun to “work out” my body and brain at the same time. I’m excited that I’ll soon be able to try walking at my desk, because BLU is getting our first “walking desk” next week!
- Rearrange Your Desk – I know not everyone will be able to do this, but if you have the option of reorganizing your office/cube/desk, give it a try. Something as simple as moving your computer to a different area, changing your desk layout, reorganizing the top of your desk, and/or adding a plant or artwork are all relatively simple but effective changes.
- Redecorate – Not everyone can do this to their office or cube, but for those who can, try making a bigger change like changing wall color, artwork, or furniture. If you can’t go that big, try moving your desk from one wall to another, face it in the opposite direction, etc. Do anything you can to change your perspective on the space you are in.
I’m excited to try some of these ideas and hope that you’re inspired to change up your work area too. Do you have any more ideas to make your workspace better? If so, I’d love to hear them, so please share them in the comments below.